For those of you that are new to my world, we made the very difficult decision to medicate our explosive child. Studies have shown that children in foster care are more than 13 times more likely to be prescribed psychotropic medications than the general population.
Regulations in the State of Texas require that before foster parents can give psychotropic medications to children in care, they must receive training on:
- Identification of psychotropic medications;
- Basic pharmacology including the actions and side effects of, and possible reactions to various psychotropic medications;
- Policies and procedures on administering medication;
- Who may legally consent to using psychotropic medications for children in foster care.
As you probably know, getting to a training class can be a challenge when you have a houseful of kids.
I’m excited that the State of Texas removed that issue by offering online free training on psychotropic medications!!!
This online training meets the expectations of the regulations for the safe and effective use of psychotropic medications by children in foster care.
In order to receive credit for the online training, you must:
- Complete the whole training.
- Make at least a 70% on the post-test.
- Print the Certificate of Completion of Psychotropic Medication Training at the end of the training.
- Provide a copy of the Certificate of Completion of Psychotropic Medication Training to your child-placing agency or residential operation.
This free online training is expected to take 2 hours – ug! – but at least you can complete the course on your schedule.