Free Online Foster Care Training!

by Penelope · 10 comments

in Being a Foster Home,Foster Care

foster-care-free-online-training-classesFor those of you that are new to my world, we made the very difficult decision to medicate our explosive child.  Studies have shown that children in foster care are more than 13 times more likely to be prescribed psychotropic medications than the general population.

Regulations in the State of Texas require that before foster parents can give psychotropic medications to children in care, they must receive training on:

• Identification of psychotropic medications;
  • Basic pharmacology including the actions and side effects of, and possible reactions to various psychotropic medications;
  • Policies and procedures on administering medication;
  • Who may legally consent to using psychotropic medications for children in foster care.

This training is required annually.

As you probably know, getting to a training class can be a challenge when you have a houseful of kids.

I’m excited that the State of Texas removed that issue by offering online free training on psychotropic medications!!!

ebook-positive guidance-468-60

This online training meets the expectations of the regulations for the safe and effective use of psychotropic medications by children in foster care.

In order to receive credit for the online training, you must:

• Complete the whole training.
  • Make at least a 70% on the post-test.
  • Print the Certificate of Completion of Psychotropic Medication Training at the end of the training.
  • Provide a copy of the Certificate of Completion of Psychotropic Medication Training to your child-placing agency or residential operation.

This free online training is expected to take 2 hours – ug! – but at least you can complete the course on your schedule.

If you’re in Texas, have you taken this training online? If not, does your state offer online training for foster parents? Would your agency accept this for training hours?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Dennis Bullock November 21, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Awesome opportunity for free training.

2 Penelope
Twitter: Foster2Forever
November 26, 2013 at 9:27 am

I hope that you can use it, Dennis!

3 Melodie Reid June 28, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I completed a training and went to print the cert and the printer did not receive the transmission. I tried to go back and download it and could not do this. Is there any way to get a download for the cert?

Melodie Reid MSsped

4 Penelope
Twitter: Foster2Forever
July 3, 2013 at 8:01 am

Maybe you could do a print screen capture of the certificate?

5 Jerry Reid May 22, 2013 at 11:22 pm

It’s nice to have another site for free online training for foster parents

6 Amy
Twitter: AggieAmy2006
February 25, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I’m in Texas too. I completed this for FP training. I also work for a CASA program and sent it to my volunteers as well.

7 Penelope
Twitter: Foster2Forever
March 14, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Thanks, Amy. I have another free online course listed on the blog today about trauma-informed care. http://foster2forever.com/2013/03/online-foster-care-training.html

8 Donna Dickson January 4, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Hi my name is Donna Dickson. My husband Dan and I live in NM. We have been Foster Parents in the past here in NM. We were also required to get CEUs.
I am happy that Texas has a program for it’s Foster parents. As of yet I have been unable to find any such free on line training for our state.
I have been looking for free on line training information for Foster Parents for some time now.
Please e-mail me with your information/requirements on Fostering/Adopting. I am very interested in leraning more about your program.
Sincerly Yours
Donna Dickson

9 Penelope
Twitter: Foster2Forever
January 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Sometimes CWs give you credit for applicable topics. My DH received training hours for his teacher inservice training.

10 Elyse Ted
Twitter: kidspeace
July 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Training is good, and it’s even better it’s offered in a format that fits into a family’s schedule so both the parents and the foster child can get the necessary help.