I’m a mid-40s first time mom! Yep! A late bloomer at its best! You see, I was a single girl in the big city of Houston, Texas all through the 1990s +. Then in 2004, my life changed drastically forever through a whirlwind romance and marriage!
I moved from a city of 4 million to a town of 1,400 and began trying to conceive at age 40. In less than 2 years, our fertility doctor told us that all my eggs were gone and should realistically examine adopting a child.
We began the process to become foster parents in Jan 2007 hoping to adopt through our state’s foster care program. After a move back to our (much larger) hometown and struggles with state licensing staff, we were licensed as an adoption-only home in September of that year. Not the dual-licensed foster to adoptive home we had requested. After complaining to the right person, we became dual licensed in February 2008 and officially became foster parents of 8-month-old Stinkpot on March 4, 2008. Surprisingly enough, we adopted him over a year later on my husband’s 50th birthday in August 2009. An adoption success with our first placement!
Through this journey, we have also been foster parents to 4 girls (age 2-12), having to say goodbye and wonder how they are doing.
We currently have a nearly 3-year-old baby boy (Lil Bit) that we have been fostering since he was 3 months old. After fighting the State against placement with a family member in numerous court hearings, we adopted him on National Adoption Day. (Since he was an illegal immigrant, we had to wait for him to become a U.S. citizen!) You can read all the details in our eBook!
Join in on the exciting conversations on our Facebook page!
- Tree hugger by day – Mommy by night
- Loves being goofy with little kids
- Suffers from Peter Pan Syndrome (does not want to grow up old)
- Was single WAY too long
- Still coping with infertility
- Addicted to skin care products and Diet Coke
- Lives for social gatherings and Girls Night Out
- Loves popular music and can name that tune in just a few notes
- Cheats to keep up on book reading list by using audiobooks
- Special Education Teacher retiring June 1st
- HUGE heart for disadvantaged and neglected kids
- Was married to ex-wife WAY too long
- Hopeless fan of Houston Astros, San Antonio Spurs, and Dallas Cowboys
- Snazzy dresser who refuses to wear t-shirts in public
- Addicted to cologne and coconut cream pie
- Can watch NCIS or FoxNews for HOURS
- Enjoys listening to Southern gospel, old country, and 70s easy rock (when Penny is not around to whine about it)
- Obsessed with his upcoming retirement date
- Strong-willed is an understatement!
- At 4 years old, thinks grown-ups don’t know anything
- Hopeless fan of Houston Astros and Texas Rangers
- Addicted to baseball, football, basketball, softball, tennis, soccer, hockey, wrestling…
Loves attending church
- Way too charming for his own good and juggles too many girlfriends to count
- Likes to act silly
- Independent – demanding to do things by himself
- Future first round draft pick for the Houston Astros in 2025